Friday, May 12, 2006

T minus me and counting...


A good, although not frequently heard from nor seen, friend of mine just suggested I hop on the Blogwagon last night. I became quickly convinced, after a rapid rummage through some of the links on his site and a realization that I have become somewhat thirsty for discussion about visual creativity and it's multitudinous manifestations. Yeah, that's what I meant to type. I look forward to sharing, learning, and pondering with you.

The sketch was completed in 30 or 40 min. during a workshop I ran in 2000. I was working as an in-house toy/gift designer for Applause, Inc., which has since been absorbed by a competitor on the East Coast.
I was jealous of those Disney guys getting to sit in front of a model at work, so I put a persuasive argument and a companion petition from the art dept. together. The brass allowed it on the premises, and eventually paid the model fees. It was moderately successful, as far as regular participation was concerned, and we had a great time remembering why we started picking up pencils in the first place. This guy's name is Ralph Martin. I can't recall what his "regular" gig was - maybe heavy machinery, perhaps trucking, possibly concrete work. Whatever the occupation, he was a moonlighting blacksmith with a Big Sky dream of Montana meadows and shoeing for ranches in the great undeveloped North. He seemed a bit melancholy, yet determined and hopeful.
I hope I captured that sentiment.

In the meantime, I have a deadline to meet before I go camping with my boys tonight - so I'm outta here! Thanks for the tip, Mo!
Regards,
Curly

3 comments:

Marcelo Vignali said...

Nice going, you've got a little of that Fred Fixler thing going in this one. I remember the model!

kcirbuk said...

Impresionante!!

Paco K.

Henry Elmo Bawden said...

Hey Bill,
Long time no see. It's been awhile. This is Henry from Cedar City. We met at SUU. How's it been? It's good to see you joined the bloggin' bandwagon. Marcelo got me hooked back in November or so. I finished SUU and have been freelancing trying to get a regular gig in a studio. It's good to see you online. I look forward to the work you post.

-Henry