Friday, January 12, 2007

Sketch - child #4


My wife fell asleep on the couch one night, exactly two months prior to our fourth child's birth. He was pretty large and active, so she was hammered. I thought about pulling out my camera, but recalled a statement from Tom Lovell about artists relying too much on photography versus pulling their sketchbooks out. The guilt was too much for me to bear, so I succumbed.

I knocked this out in a couple of minutes. It's not phenomenal, but I find that I remember the moment clearly - the lighting in the room, the temperature, my own increasing sense of fatigue, the awareness of sleeping kids upstairs who might awaken to use the bathroom or get a drink of water. I love how sketching cements memory into the mind. I find the same thing occurs with journal writing; I can return to journal entries from twenty years ago and experience a high degree of recall.

No comments: