Wednesday, August 22, 2007

New Blog link - Otis Toy Design

Candy Lavin used to be my CM at Applause. Now she's cracking whips at Otis in L.A. I attended a summer program at Otis just after I graduated from high school. Back then, it was on Wilshire across from MacArthur Park. Originally, the area was very nice, as evidenced by local architecture. It was fun while I was there, but at that point the neighborhood had gone to hell. Several years ago, they made the upgrade and moved a little closer to the ocean.
They pioneered a toy design program, being the first on the West Coast to offer one, and after a cursory review of the student work just now, I have to say I'm very impressed. A couple of friends of mine have taught/are teaching there. They lucked out to land Candy. I'll let you go to the site to find out more.

1 comment:

Candace said...

Mr. Bill!!
Thank you for your kind words about myself and Otis College of Art and Design. It's been great to reconnect with so many talented artists like yourself and others from our Applause days.
I am not the only Applause alum hanging out at Otis. Here are some familiar names who support Otis with speaking/offering internships, etc. - Frank Howa, Virginia Hein and the Chair of Otis Toy Design, Deborah Ryan.
Come by and visit the next time you are in LA. Your blog is awesome - keep up the good work!